First planted to Merlot and Cabernet Franc in 1984, the RCF Vineyard (named for Fred and Juelle's son, Robert Charles Fisher) runs along the bank of Simmons Creek on our Calistoga estate. Comprised primarily of cobble stones and loam, this site yields wines of depth and character inspired by classic Right Bank blends. (read more about the vineyard).
The 2016 RCF Merlot has remarkably expressive aromatics of dark chocolate, ripe plum and candied violet. The palate of this wine is stacked with flavors of black cherry and toasted caramel layered with fine grain tannin. The wine’s opulent fruit is balanced by velvet fruit tannin and generous integrated French oak expressing itself in notes of cacao nibs and light cedar.
- Whitney Fisher
- Harvested September 16th ,19th, and 23rd, of 2016
- 76% Merlot, 16% Cabernet Franc, 4% Malbec, 4% Cabernet
- Whole-berry fermented in open-top oak and concrete fermenters
- Bottled unfined and unfiltered
- Aged 21 months in French oak barrels (100% new)
Alcohol by volume 15.1%
Bottle date: August 2018
147 cases produced