Mountain Estate Vineyard, Cabernet Sauvignon
Following more than 30 years adapting farming practices to the mountain climate and terrain around the winery, we are pleased to produce this wine from several Bordeaux varietal vineyard blocks yielding fruit of mature character and balance. The heart of this wine is Cabernet Sauvignon grown on steep, west facing terraces that rise above the early renowned Wedding Vineyard, reaching a towering elevation of 1,400 feet. Other contiguous vineyard blocks incorporate a great diversity of soils and exposures, providing additional complexity and unmistakable mountain terroir.
The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Mountain Estate vineyard is loaded with notes of wild cherry, plum, iron, cedar, smoke, tobacco, and grilled herbs. Powerful and ample in feel with tremendous richness, this is shaping up to be positively stellar. Swaths of tannin and bright saline notes give the wine its distinctive sense of energy and overall feel. The 2017 matches fruit density with more floral, savory, and mineral notes that are typical of this site.
- 95 points Vinous Media, Antonio Galloni
- 95% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Caberent Franc, 2% Petit Verdot
- Harvested October 19 – 25th
- De-stemmed, double sorted
- Whole-berry fermented in small open-top Oak, Concrete, and Stainless Steel fermenters
- Native malolactic fermentation completed in barrel
- Aged 21 months in French oak barrels (90% new)
Alcohol by volume is 14.5%
Bottle date August 2019
304 cases produced