Mountain Estate Vineyard, Chardonnay
On our Mountain Estate, these vines grow on a steep, rocky, Northeast-facing slope at an average elevation of 1,300 feet, receiving early morning sun and minimal exposure to hot afternoon temperatures. Planted in 1999, this vineyard has proven ideal for the gradual ripening and maximum maturation of Chardonnay grapes.
The 2014 Mountain Estate Chardonnay is a beautiful pale straw color in the glass. On the nose are hints of lime custard, honeydew melon and a subtle note of salinity. As the wine warms, notes of passion fruit and lemongrass intensify along with notes of green apple, caraway seed and vanilla. The palate expands on these aromas with flavors of lemon pot de crème and honeyed apple. The wine shows lively play between salty citrus caramel and papaya honeydew melon that persist on the palate into a lengthy finish.
- 100% Chardonnay
- Harvested September 3-27
- Whole cluster pressed at low pressure
- Juice cold settled for 24 hours and moved to barrel by gravity
- 90% fermented in barrel, 10% fermented in concrete
- Aged 18 months in French oak (35% new)
- No sulfite additions at harvest or during aging
- Lees stirred twice monthly for 15 months
Alcohol by volume is 14.5%
Bottle date March 2016
1,050 cases produced